Travel information South African Prince Albert Town

Prince Albert – South Africa is a beautiful village in the Karoo, which is part of the Western Cape. Although we live in an arid region, we are blessed water from the mountains Svartberga and village – a small oasis.

We enjoy a wonderful climate, with a high index of sunshine and spectacular night sky. The village is a little gem, with beautifully preserved Dutch capes, punish and Victorian buildings – 13 of them with the & # 39 are national monuments *.

There are many hotels and inns to meet all preferences and pockets. We also offer accommodation on the farm.

Prince Albert is known for its sun-ripe fresh and dried fruits, especially figs and apricots. The Prince Albert Valley, south of the village, farmers are restoring vineyards last treated in the 19th century. Cora lamb, olives, olive oil and cheese – local delicacies. (See what to buy, breed and produce).

Here you can go to the breast in the evening to buy milk, cream and yoghurt, as well as visit our Saturday market of fruits and vegetables taken in the morning, fresh bread, homemade jams and pickles.

Every April we hold Prince Albert festival when the village entertains crowds street markets, great food, music, art exhibitions, competitions, half-marathon and cycle race and much more.

Prince Albert – only 2 km from the foot of the marvelous pass Svartberg – an ideal base for exploring all the wonders of Svartberga, including Gamskaskloofa – "Hell" and Meringsporta

Activities for visitors include a city tour, city tour, a springboard for "Gordon", an evening stroll, hiking Svartberg pass, visit a gallery of Prince Albert, where local artists show their work, local shops, leather goods, weaving, traditional dishes from Cora and a visit to the wonderful museum Frans P & # 39; Enar, where a local farmer surpasses "Witblits".

Hiking, mountain biking, scenic drives, bird watching and bird watching – the main attractions. (See what to do)

Klaarburum village and Lion GABA fall under the municipal district.

Prince Albert is located on an overnight stay in Gauteng, Cape Town and Port Elizabeth. Resorts and beaches of the Garden Route are two hours drive to the south. Avdhorn, Cango Caves and the National Park Kara – it is only an hour away.

The village of Prince Albert came to the farm credit Kvekvalley based Zacharias and Dina de Birey in 1762. The fertile valley soon attracted other farmers at the market square were held church services and up to 1844 was built and thriving church ng created community.

In 1845, some parishioners suggested naming the village Albertsburgam the title "Naar zijne Hogheid" – His Royal Highness, Prince Albert, Queen Victoria. In July, the governor was approved and the village became known as Prince Albert.

Prince Albert of Saxe-Gotha-Cabourg lived between (1819 – 1861).

By 1855 our weekly market was established and Bishop Robert Gray – the first Anglican Bishop of Cape Town, visited the village and found her "very nicely located in the foot of the mountain Zwart Berg."

one of the earliest in the Cape Colony – In 1857, a reading room, which led to the opening of the library in 1862 was created. Queen Victoria sent a book to the village of Prince Albert speeches in 1867, and now it can be seen in the museum Frans P & # 39; Enar.

Unfortunately, the original library was burned in 1949, but our new library of over ten years, was opened – please visit to see the permanent exhibition of the village, which was our librarian.

New ng Kirk in Kerkstraatse was consecrated in 1865, and the following year Adrian J. Hofmeyer replaced the small organ a wonderful tool that is currently in use. Annie Lutsig was appointed organist of the church in 1892 and held this position 58 years.

During the 1850s and 60s there was a large building activity and Carel Lotz created his famous Prince Albert Fronde. While you are here, please go through the village to see our gables, well-preserved examples of Karoo cottages, Victorian homes, former cinema and national monuments. Please contact Fransie Pienaar Museum 023 5411 172 or in the Tourism Association office 023 5411 366

In 1881, construction began on the pass Svartberg, but only in 1883, when Thomas Bain took over the project, work began sur & # 39; ozna. In 1886 the pass was opened to the public – but at your own risk, as construction is still conducted.

Post-coach left the hotel "Prince Albert" every morning at 6.00 am, once the driver stopped in a small village on the top of the pass for a cup of coffee and returned to find his coach, who went – horse headed back in the direction of Prince Albert and heat their stable. Pass Svartberg was inaugurated on January 10, 1888. Etc. In 1904 Mr. Russell moved to Ovdskhorna first motorcycle through the pass.

In 1891 a shepherd found a gold nugget on the farm Klein Vaterval and began Prince Albert Gold Rush. The trapped miners predicted another Uitvatersrand, but one thousand and forty-two registered claims only produced 504 ounces of gold. The relics of the gold leaf can be seen in our museum.

Anglo-Boer War broke out in 1899, where the British garrison was established, and in this area there have been several clashes between the command and the troops. Commandant Gideon Shpipers Storm was captured on a farm Cop & # 39; eskraal and was later shot in Graaff-Rhine. Brown took post-horses about Butkrakraala in 1901.

In 1912, the first issue of the weekly newspaper "The Prince Albert Friend" / "The Prince Albert Friend", which came out in Dutch and English – the tradition continues, buy a copy of our monthly newspaper in the office of Tourism Association

Once you have visited the museum and saw a picture Kvekvalleya illustrated by Robert Gordon in 1778 go up to Gordon to get a bird's view of the village. Cop & # 39; and from a distance, such as Gordon drew them, but now a thriving village, home to more than 6000 residents.

Green gardens and gardens testify about sources slides Svartberga that mass housing provides a spectacular backdrop for our special, peaceful place.